Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Working-Class Approach to Writing Blocks, Mini-Blocks or Miles

Odilia Rivera Santos

All writers experience writing blocks when thinking that everything they write must be brilliant. We can fritter away thousands of hours waiting for that muse to knock or we can keep inspiration in stock at all times.
Clutter is decidedly an un-inspirer for me.
If papers are in disarray, I lose my hard-on for writing.
Before settling down to write anything, I organize my work space, write out lists, fold clothes.
I write in the morning, so the ritual of organization sorts out the dreams from life and edits out unnecessary worries from my brain.
Everyone needs a ritual.
I am inspired by artists with a working-class work ethic: George Bernard Shaw wrote everyday and did not receive any acclaim for his work until his late fifties or early sixties, Stephen King worked a bunch of bizarre jobs and had a collection of rejections that he kept on his desk, Joan Rivers who is an avid reader, keeping her mind engaged and sharp to make her a better performer, Zora Neale Hurston who was a sociologist, researcher, writer, journalist and world explorer.
The list will evolve because there are many others.
Creative work is an individual decision.
I choose to never have a writing block, to write everyday and allow my creativity to flow in whatever direction rules for the day without judgment and easy on the expectations because progress and epiphanies come even on days when nothing seems to be going on.

No comments: